Can you believe it is already Fall? No matter how much fun the Summer has been, I am always ready for all things Fall to arrive. I love the traditions, the festivals, the food, and of course….comfty clothing options! Our Fall Bucket List doesn’t change too much from year to year (with a few exceptions), but that is what I love about it! Check out our list below as well as some of our recent accomplishments.
Fall 2017 Bucket List:
- Paint Fall Pottery—-CHECK!!!
- Celebrate Addie’s 4th Birthday
- Paint Pumpkins—- CHECK!!!!
- Attend Disney’s Food and Wine Festival—CHECK!!! Guys, Chef Mickey out did himself this year. We had shrimp scampi, belgium waffles, filet mignon, paella, steak tacos. YUM!
- Attend a Cooking Class—CHECK!!!! (Pictures in a previous post)
- Make Homemade Pizza
- Visit Niagara Falls—-CHECK!!! This was an epic long weekend adventure (see previous post).
- Go Trick or Treating
- Decorate for Fall—-CHECK!!! I buy one new decoration each year. This year’s choice was a super-cute tin banner that says “Harvest” to be hung on the mantle.
- Create a Thanksgiving Tree
- Finish the Thanksgiving Tablecloth—Ugh, so much work to be done on this one…
- Go to a Drive-in Movie
- Go to A Harvest Festival—-CHECK!!! Lewiston, NY
- Take Family Pictures—-CHECK!!! (except the photographer’s laptop was ruined and the pictures were lost. No worries, we are retaking them in two weeks.
- Go to the Fair—CHECK!!!
There aren’t many long weekends that I can say we have traveled through four states, with four generations of women in our family chasing a grand adventure. We landed in Cleveland, Ohio, hit the ground running, and never stopped until the plane ride back home.
Day 1: We drove into Michigan and stuck our feet in Lake Erie. Now I am down to 12 more states to go until I can officially say that I have set foot in all 50!! Next we headed down to Lake Erie Shores to do some window shopping, light house spotting, famous chili-dog eating, and thrill-seeking at the World’s Largest Theme Park/Rollercoaster Capital of the World, Cedar Point.
Day 2: We drove in the opposite direction, through Ohio, Pennsylvania, New York, and into Canada to view the magnificent Niagara Falls. We rode the Hornblower to get up close and personal with the raging waters that flow at over 84,000 cubic feet per second! We ended the day with some local fare, a stroll through a festival in Lewiston, a swim in the hotel pool with Addie, and back to the Falls to view the illuminated waters at night.
Day 3: We packed up, drove the three hours back to the airport and were back home by 5pm.
Whew! To say it was a whirl-wind would be an understatement….but it was also a lot of fun. We have trained Addie to be such a good little traveler. Would you believe that she has now been to 19 states at three years old! Having my mother and grandmother along for the adventure made the trip even more memorable. They have and continue to make such a positive impact on my life and the life of my daughter. I am just so glad that they (and Waring) are always up for my hair-brained, half-crazy schemes.
This was so much fun….I am already plan our next adventure!
We had tons of fun last month at Dragon Con! Here are a few pictures as evidence of our completion of this bucket list task!
Making a bucket list is pretty much an annual thing. Some adventures are added on a whim and fulfilled quickly, while other items seem to linger on the list for quite a while.
Adventure #1: Chef Darin’s Kitchen Table Cooking Class in Savannah, Ga
My friends Meri has seen this bucket list item go unfulfilled year after year and gave me one of my favorite birthday gifts ever—-the gift of adventure! I am not much of a cook, but I love to pretend and I love anything novel and new. The class was called, “Flavor Dynamics.” We learned about how different flavors hit our tastebuds and how to create balanced flavor profiles. At the end of our lesson we got to try out our new skills with an Indian or Mexican-inspired dish. The the best part of the night was taste testing.
Thank you Mer and Justin for an awesome experience!
Adventure #2: DragonCon in Atlanta, Ga
Mariah and I both had a milestone birthday this year (gulp…). She is into (almost) all things nerdy, and I wanted to do something memorable to celebrate her….so nine long months after we birthday we were able to celebrate by attending our first ever DragonCon. We only went for Saturday to get our feet wet and get a taste of the experience. I am so glad we went! Mariah, AJ, and took a whirl wind trip to Atlanta and back in 24 hours. We saw amazing Cosplay, got confused WAAAAY more than once about the intricacies of D-con, and were just generally in awe at the massiveness of it all. It was awesome to see so much nerdy-ness and inclusiveness in one place!
Pictures of this coming soon….
Recipes for EPIC weekend adventures include:
-Progress towards goals
The last few weekends have been just what the doctor ordered for any end-of-Summer-blues we may be facing. We may not have traveled out of town, but luckily for us there is plenty of fun to be had right next door in Savannah, Georgia. We have played on play grounds, visited cute downtown coffee/art spots, had sweet friends visit from out of town, snuggled during Sunday afternoon naps, ate buttery popcorn during movie night, read books by flashlight in our pillow fort, and make some big strides for a new bucket list adventures coming up this fall.
Check out some of the fun!
While the temperature outside may still denote Summer, my school calendar does not. A new Happy Planner has been purchased and pre-pre-planning is underway. I have to go back to work a little bit earlier these days…however it is easy to get back into the school year swing when you absolutely love your job AND when the one who helps with Addie during the day is the same woman who raised you (thanks MOM)!
We had another epic Summer in the Harvey household complete with trips to Disney World, a cruise to Mexico, time spent at the Lake and Beach. It’s a wonder that we were able to complete anything on our Summer Bucket List with all that extra fun…but Addie and I are pros at this bucket list thing. Check out of progress this Summer!
Here is the list for this year:
- Make a stepping stone- Bought the supplies, but not yet completed. I will post picks with the finished product!
- Collect and paint rocks- CHECK!
- Visit the Trampoline Park- CHECK!
- Paint Pottery- CHECK! Addie did such a great job. The lady who works there noted how much patience she had painting all of her pieces.
- Create a spa night at home- CHECK! Aunt Mer took us to a neat place that allows you to customize and create your own bath scrubs and oils. We used these and some samples of spa lotions and nail polish that we got for free the same day.
- Go to a summer matinee- CHECK! We saw Cars III….not my favorite Disney movie, but a Disney movie is better than almost anything else out so I call it a win.
- Have a Random Acts of Kindness Day- I really like doing this, but it is so much more fun as a group. I will add it to the Fall Bucket List to redeem ourselves!
- Tie dye- CHECK!
- Have a picnic/tea party- CHECK! This was Addie’s first-official-non-pretend Tea Party. She LOVED it!
- Go sea shelling in St. Augustine- CHECK (sort of). We went to Fernandina instead and there were VERY FEW shells.
- Make homemade pizza- NOPE.
- Make jewelry- CHECK! Addie made a necklace and bracelet with her name on it and all.
- Go to the beach with friends- CHECK!
- Have a lazy day around the house- CHECK! We actually had several of these….until I decide I can’t stand being cooped up and we go head to town or anywhere.
- Go to a U-pick farm- CHECK! This year we actually picked tomatoes. YUM!
- Go to the open studio hours at a local kids art studio (Henny Penny or Scribble Art Studio)- NOPE. Maybe sometime soon?
All in all it was a great Summer. I can’t wait for many more with this little chick!
Processed with VSCO with f2 preset
With only 940 Saturdays between birth to 18 I want to make sure I savor each and every one in Addie’s life whether we are adventuring around the world or our hometown, I want to hold on to these precious moments. Some weekends we celebrate the mundane….but the last two weekends have been extra-special.
Elijah Clark State Park Weekend Adventure
We camped, we ate Mexican AND Italian (who says Lake Life can’t have some global flare), we tie dyed, and we swam and played!
Day Trip to Downtown Amelia Island/Fernandina Beach
We came, we played, we ate, we left!