Who you are today….that’s who you are.
And every single time you get the chance, stand up in front of people.
let them see you. Speak. Be heard.
Go ahead and have the dry mouth.
Let your heart beat so, so fast.
Watch everything in slow motion.
So what. You what?
You pass out, you die, you poop?
(And this is really the only lesson you’ll ever need to know.)
You take it in.
You breathe this rare air.
You feel alive.
You are yourself.
You are truly finally always yourself.
-Dartmouth Commencement Speech, Shonda Rimes, 2014
Happy 2017, everyone! This past year will certainly be hard to top. In 2017 I want to make the most of time this year by spending it with family and friends and soaking up each moment together. In addition to selecting a list of fun, must-do items, I have also chosen a word to serve as a focal point and core value.
After mulling over several choices one just seemed to stick. Embrace. Yes, I want to embrace all aspects of life this year, the happy, the sad, the routine, the mundane. I would normally learn towards stronger, more intense, more direct and forward terms, (i.e. strive, intention, drive) which is why I purposefully chose a softer, more compassionate gentle term to balance out my type-A, driven, obsessive bent. I want to embrace life, embrace others, embrace gritty, raw, real life. Only God knows what is in store for us, and only He can can prepare us for 2017. Here we go!
Here’s the List:
- Write my own manifesto (from Gretchen Rubin’s Happiness Project)
- Write a letter to my future self
- Celebrate my last day of my 20’s
- Plan (and have) a spa day
- Do Adult Disney
- See the Rocky Mountains
- Fly fish
- Sand surf
- Stay in a Deluxe Disney Resort
- Hang Glide
- Sleep in a tree house
- Learn about floral arts
- Take a cooking class
- Master the art of the sugar cookie
- Plant bougainvillea
- Reach goal weight (finally)
- Pay off student loans
- Develop a “big girl” skin care routine
- Visit a new state
- Visit a new country
- Explore Universal’s Harry Potter World
- Complete a Reading Challenge
- Learn Spanish (again…)
- Prepare for an emergency (so we won’t get totally caught off guard by something like Hurricane Matthew again.)
- Attend Dragon Con
- Plan and implement seasonal bucket lists/monthly challenges
What’s on your list? Remember, if you fail to plan, you plan to fail!