Fall is upon us once again and so despite the craziness of life….a bit of decorating is a must. This year Addie is old enough to help get out our one little orange rubber maid. Honestly, I like that we put out the same predictable decorations each year (a few are listed below). While I love whimsy and novelty, I also find joy in routine and tradition. I like that we don’t have box after box of complicated decor. We have one box. We put out the same items year after year with little deviation or addition.
Traditions bring a sense of richness to life that I love to share with my girls and husband. I love this little tradition so much that I think I may start doing the same with one box of items for Easter/Spring as well as Summer.
Who cares that it isn’t “officially” fall yet?! When you get an opportunity to knock a few items off on the 2018 Fall Bucket List, you just go for it!
Life being crazy-busy like it is and will be for the next year or so, we seriously thought about canceling our trip to Blue Ridge. However, when remembering Gretchen Rubin’s words in my ear to “choose the bigger life,” we headed out for another whirlwind weekend getaway.
In less than 72 hours we crammed in the following:
-Chicky bowls at our favorite Cuban restaurant in Blue Ridge
-Blairsville’s First-ever Taste of the Mountains
-Downtown Blue Ridge Window shopping
-Addie Milked a Cow!
If you know me at all, then you know that I geek out about anything related to personal development, productivity, habits, and so forth. I LOVE listening to these two ladies right here, Gretchen Rubin and Elizabeth Craft. I have been a faithful podcast listener of their shows, Happier and Happier in Hollywood for years! Gretchen has many sayings that she has coined in her books and podcast, and one of my favorites is this: “Choose the BIGGER life.” Simply put, when given the opportunity don’t always choose the easier path…but choose the path that provides the biggest opportunity for growth, fun, exploration, relationship building, etc… Yes, that means that you probably should NOT choose to veg on the couch for an entire weekend binge watching Netflix. Yes, that DOES mean you should put on your big girl panties and go for it…whatever “it” may be.
Waring and I are busy right now, and we are certainly tired too…but I am thankful for all that God has blessed us with and want to strive each day to live the BIGGER life!
Ugh…do you not want to pinch those squishy cheeks! We are so very much in love!
This Summer has been jam-packed with life. Ugly, messy, beautiful, crazy, fun, adventurous life. We got a lot done, but when I think about this summer I am reminded of a quote from my girl-crush, Rachel Hollis:
- Paint character rocks– DONE!
- Pick blueberries—DONE!
- Take newborn photos—DONE!
- Go to Virginia–DONE!
- Eat LOTS of fresh tomato and bacon sandwiches–DONE!
- Swim lessons for Addie—DONE! (with Granny Layne as primo swim instructor)
- Create Year 9 Photobook—Um…not yet…
- Plan 2018 – 2019 Trips (Fall break, Christmas, Spring Break, & Summer)- Spring Break–DONE!, Fall Break–DONE! Summer & Christmas–Not Yet!
- Paint pottery–DONE!
- Tye dye–Not yet, but we have all of the ingredients needed for a fun night!
- Make stepping stones-Not yet, but we have all of the ingredients needed for a fun night!
- Go see a matinee- DONE!
- Create a girl’s-only spa night–DONE and DONE!
- Go to tea with Addie—DONE!
- Make homemade pizza–DONE!
- Celebrate 9 years of marriage- DONE!
- Go new school clothes shopping with Addie- DONE! (Okay, so I mostly did this online)
- Throw an End-of-Summer & Beginning-of-School Adventure Night- DONE! We went to Chili’s but it still counts…
- Have a labor party to welcome Eleanor and get back to goal weight- DONE & DONE (Sort-of…I am 7lbs away from pre-pregnancy weight with 33 pounds down in 10 weeks. Yeah, I am pretty happy with this, the rest will come).
- Light a sky lantern-Not yet, but we have all of the ingredients needed for a fun night!
Is there anything sweeter than cuddling with a sleeping baby? I think not…
With three more weeks of maternity leave left, I am savoring each and every one of these snuggles! Am I tired? Yes. Is she sleeping “through the night”? No. Will this and all of her other stages pass far, far to quickly? Absolutely!